Thursday, March 7, 2013

Two weeks till show time.

It's been quite a while since I've popped by my blog. As you can imagine I've been spending all my time putting together my exhibition, which I titled Roadside America. Working away today, I had the realization this is the first time I've had the luxury of preparing a show without having to work a day job. No wonder my stress level has been low. Well, relatively low. There's always numerous silly little technical difficulties that happen to make you slightly panicky but to be able to deal with each issue immediately is a gift.

Along with working on the exhibition pieces I've put together a map showing my route across America and back. I photographed the actual maps I used and pieced them together in Photoshop, lining up the highlighted drive. While traveling I encountered many people who were shocked that I didn't have a GPS. They couldn't believe I wasn't getting lost but the truth was I did get lost, quite a bit, but it often lead to me seeing something cool or talking to someone interesting. So, I became much better at reading maps and knowing my north from my south and east from west. A handy thing to know.

I thought it would be interesting to use the compiled maps to indicate where I took the original photographs used in the final pieces. (In the map above the images are blurred. A good friend of mine has been doing her best not to see any of the images beforehand.  I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise for her now would I?) The map will be on display during the length of the show to highlight my route and to lend context to the work. Looking at the map now all I see are the places I haven't been yet; so much left to explore. Soon. Fingers crossed..

I hope people have the time to come say hi to me during the opening reception of American Roadside. It will be at Argyle Fine Art, 1559 Barrington Street Halifax, Nova Scotia from 7-9pm on Friday, March 22nd. 

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the show! Please post some images online once its up, so those of us who can't make it to Hfax can enjoy 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again. I will post some photos of the show soon.

      Delete
  2. Boy Halifax is more than a long days walk from NH but I'd love to see your show. Please keep us blogged in and tell us all about your opening this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete